Arlan Hamilton built a venture capital fund from the ground up, while homeless. She is the Founder and Managing Partner of Backstage Capital, a fund that is dedicated to minimizing funding disparities in tech by investing in high-potential founders who are people of color, women, and/or LGBTQ. Started from scratch in 2015, Backstage has now raised more than $7 million and invested in more than 130 startup companies led by underestimated founders. In 2018 Arlan co-founded Backstage Studio which launched four accelerator programs for underestimated founders in Detroit, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and London.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Arlan’s journey from being broke to investing in 100 companies led by unrepresented founders. (2:57)
- The mindset and impact of someone raised in a home with abundant love, laughter and support but unsure where the next meal or roof would be. (6:53)
- Arlan shares the moment she knew would make the vision come to fruition, while pacing a parking lot hotel in Texas. (13:42)
- Step by step how she went from the parking lot to $15 million raised, 170 companies invested in over a six year period. (17:01)
- The vision for Backstage and how investors made decisions based on how someone looks and her strategy to go after the underestimated founders. (24:11)
- Arlan speaks openly about the “pipeline” problem in the investor space and why it is not a real factor. (28:40)
- Even though she asked for her story to not focus on “rags to riches,” when the headline came out she was surprised by the response. (31:42)
Connect with Arlan:
Buy Arlan’s book: It’s About Damn Time
Invest in Backstage: https://republic.co/backstage
Arlan’s Academy: https://arlanwashere.teachable.com/
DOWNLOAD FULL EPISODE TRANSCRIPT HERE
This episode is sponsored by the club, a Quarterly box and digital monthly community to help you level up and leadership and life. Learn more at join.theceoschool.co/theclub Follow @ceoschool on Instagram for inspiration and exclusive behind-the-scenes you won’t find anywhere else. We also have an absolutely incredible FREE resource for you–it’s the 7 lessons we learned building 7 and 8 figure businesses, these are complete game changers and we want to give it to you, completely free. All you have to do is leave a review of the podcast–why you love listening–screenshot the review, and email it to email@example.com and we’ll send it your way. See you in the next class!
Tune in to the episode at: